Monday, September 19, 2011
Today I wanted to post about my moms Christmas pickles.....they are so yummy and fun! They are made with the end of season large cucumbers from your garden......ours are just beginning to get ready for the last picking and we will be making more of these wonderful pickles.....recipe is below.......
2 gallon large cucumber spears
2 cups lime
8 1/2 cups cold water
1 cup vinegar
1 TBS alum
1 small bottle red food coloring (you can also use green)
1. Peel cucumbers, cut into spears...Remove all seeds....
2. Place in lime water to cover...Let stand 24 hrs. Drain.
3. Wash in cold water 3 times until lime is removed.....
Put in ice water and leave to soak for 3 to 4 hrs. drain
4. Mix vinegar, alum and food coloring....Pour over cucumbers and add plain water to cover pickles....Heat and simmer for 2 hrs....drain.
5. Add pickling solution below:
2 Cups vinegar
2 Cups water
1 package redhots candies
10 cups sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
Bring pickling solution to a boil.....pour over cucumber pickles......cover tightly and let stand overnight....Drain and re-heat syrup and pour again over pickles.....Repeat this process for 2 more mornings....On the 3rd morning heat cucumbers in the liquid to boiling(make sure they come to a rolling boil and boil for at least 5 min)....Pack in sterile jars and seal by turning them upside down........
The longer these sit the better they are at the holidays.....the flavors are so good and the reaction to red and green pickles are a lot of fun.......